We all know how important it is to invest in our financial well-being by creating a budget, balancing our checkbooks, and adding to our savings and 401K accounts regularly. But investing in our physical, mental and spiritual well-being, in other words, investing in ourselves is just as important.
That’s what self care is all about for me, investing in myself.
Megan Tull, Business Strategist and International Speaker says, “Investing in yourself is one of the best return on investments you can have. Whether it’s investing in learning a new skill, developing yourself personally or professionally, tapping into your creativity or hiring a coach, you need to give to yourself first before you can give to others. It is our responsibility to take the time to develop our gifts and talents, so we can best serve others. Investing in yourself is an example of self-love. You must love yourself before you can expect others to love you.”
Megan’s suggestions for investing in yourself:
• Set goals. Learn how to set personal and business goals for yourself.
• Honor your intuition. You can show yourself love by trusting your gut and honoring the message that it’s sending.
• Invest time in your creativity. Our creativity doesn’t have to diminish as we get older. Creativity can be the catalyst in the manifestation of continual learning and lifelong activity.
• Invest in building your confidence. People who know their value, have something to say and others will listen.
• Read educational books. Books or audio books are an awesome resource to build your knowledge and expertise in any area.
• Attend seminars and workshops to expand your knowledge and skills in your business and/or personal life.
• Take care of your health. Eat right each day, fueling your body with nutrients and exercise daily.
• Choose to be happy. Happiness is a choice. Happy people choose to focus on the positive aspects of life, rather than the negative.
• Work on your bucket list. If you don’t have a bucket list, then it’s time to start one.
• Invest in a coach. A coach can assist you in putting all of these strategies into action. A coach is your partner in success. It is their job to assist you in creating and implementing your success plan, so you can become the best that you can be.
Investing in myself is not something I do “only when I have time.” It’s a non-negotiable for me. I make it a priority because I know what happens when I don’t. I love the energy I have when I feel good about myself and the unstoppable attitude I experience knowing I am the best I can be. And I don’t feel I’m being selfish when I am doing things for me. In fact, I believe taking care of myself is the greatest gift I can give the people I love. When I’m at my best I am easier to be with, more productive, friendlier, and more upbeat.
My 401K account may go up and down with the rise and fall of the sometimes unpredictable stock market. But by investing in my physical, mental and spiritual well-being, I increase my returns tenfold.
And that is a return on investment I can count on.
Read more from Megan Tull at Huffington Post – Megan Tull
Read more about self care at Fuzzy Red Socks